AF3IRM Hawaiʻi presents a new fellowship opportunity for community college or university students in the state of Hawaiʻi!
The AF3IRM Justice for Women Fellowship offers the opportunity to gain a hands-on policymaking experience at the Hawaiʻi State Legislature as part of a project toward the full integration of women’s concerns in the mainstream ofHawaiʻi politics.
Working closely with AF3IRM Hawaiʻi , the Justice for Women Fellow will be assigned to an individual state legislator’s office to support their staff to research, draft legislation, and advise around current, pressing problems affecting women and girls in Hawaiʻi .
The position is at the Hawaiʻi State Capitol in Honolulu and, as unpaid, should be taken for academic credit at a local college or university. Fellow will receive one roundtrip travel to Maui for a community presentation of their project. The fellowship requires a minimum of 12 hours per week. Qualifying credit hours will vary by academic institution.
AF3IRM Hawaiʻi is a multiethnic, transnational feminist organization that demands the State affirm women’s rights through gender equity. We seek to develop women leaders fundamentally committed to feminism and to laying the ground for just spaces in Hawaiʻi and globally.
- Part-time or full-time student of any age and any major attending an accredited community college or four year university in the State of Hawaiʻi
- Working knowledge of women’s issues and feminist organizing
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Research gender discrimination
- Assist in drafting legislation to address unequal structures and practices that perpetuate discrimination and inequality for women in Hawaiʻi
- Brief staff on policy developments
- Interact with local stakeholders
- Outreach to national organizations
- Lead presentation on Maui
- Academic credit as determined by applicant’s academic institution
- Bus pass
- Paid roundtrip travel to Maui
- Mentorship by legislators
- Knowledge of interworkings of the State Legislative Process
- Knowledge of local women’s issues and advocacy
How to Apply
To apply, submit the following to email@example.com:
- Letter of interest
- Resume with references
- Writing sample
Deadline to apply: Friday, September 30, 2016.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.