In partnership with the National Organization of Asians and Pacific Islanders Ending Sexual Violence (NAPIESV), AF3IRM members, Jollene Levid and Ninotchka Rosca, recently traveled to the Philippines to the ‘natural’ and man-made disaster areas devastation affected by Super Typhoon Haiyan and armed conflict. Their trip was part of PHASE 1 of the joint sexual violence relief centers project with NAPIESV. This relief project aims to provide emergency shelters, counseling, medical services, and recovery programs to victims of sexual violence and trafficking in disaster-prone areas in the Philippines.
In the areas visited by Levid and Rosca, they conducted a three-week needs assessment and investigation, found local partners, and identified opportunities for genuine transnational work and building. Their findings identified communities that wanted and needed justice, not charity, through the rebuilding of the livelihoods, health and well-being of the people and their communities. (You can listen to the LA Session of the Report-Back with Jollene Levid on Radio Sombra).
Currently, we are preparing and developing Phase 2 of the project. We are asking for donations and for help fundraising to send a medical team, social workers, and organizers who will work directly with organizers in the affected areas.
Phase 2 includes:
1) Comprehensive Medical Mission Team
2) Social Work Mission Team (for mental healthcare)
3) Advocacy Trainings (Livelihood training, Reproductive Justice Training, Sexual Violence/Rape Crisis Relief Training, Trafficking Training).
We invite you to take action. Support this project – donate, host a speaking event, or plan a fundraiser.
What can your support do?
- $1000 sends a volunteer (social worker, physician, nurse, organizer)
- $100 is seed-money for a collaborative of 3+ women to rebuild their livelihood.
- $10 fund supplies for a livelihood training or a day of food, travel and housing for a volunteer.
Support Phase 2 of the Project now!
Past Report-backs and Fundraisers:
MARCH 8th, 2014
New York City | #JusticeNotCharity Report-back with Ninotchka Rosca & IWWD Mixer
Report-back 3:30-5:30PM @ University Settlement, NYC
Mixer 5:30-7:30PM @ the Crime Scene Bar, NYC
Facebook Invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/700908549931890
MARCH 19th, 2014
Irvine/Orange County | EVEN IN DISASTER WE LEARN: Report-Back with Jollene Levid
6:30PM @ Doheny Beach B, UC Irvine Student Center
Facebook Invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/1444633465773227/
MARCH 20th, 2014
Irvine/Orange County | EVEN IN DISASTER WE RISE
In the Face of Disaster Open Mic
7:30 PM @ Paradise Perks Cafe, Irvine, CA
Facebook Invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/435519913247442/
MARCH 27th, 2014
Irvine/Orange County | EVEN IN DISASTER WE TAKE ACTION
Empowering and Rebuilding Women: A Conversation between Jollene Levid and Dr. Vandana Asthana
6:30PM | Location TBA
Facebook Invite: https://www.facebook.com/events/601199343301859/
Latest #JusticeNotCharity-related Events and News:
- Purple Rose Day 2015: Women’s Resistance Key to our Existence Sat, Feb 14, 2015
- Ninotchka Rosca to Speak at Rutgers University on Super-Typhoon Mission Thu, Apr 17, 2014
- AF3IRM Irvine/OC Hosting Event Series for Women’s Month Thu, Mar 06, 2014
- AF3IRM NY REPORT-BACK: Endorsing Organizations Announced for International Women’s Day Mixer and Ninotchka Rosca Report-Back on the Impact of Typhoon Yolanda on Women in Tacloban Tue, Mar 04, 2014
- #JusticeNotCharity AF3IRM NY Talk-Back and Mixer Wed, Feb 26, 2014